Benjamin Button is not a great movie

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

I should know better by now, but I did read F. Scott Fitzgerald’s short story that this movie was “based” on before I saw the movie. BIG mistake because there are really only two things that make the movie like the story: 1. The main character’s name is Benjamin Button, and 2. Benjamin was born with an old man’s body, which grew backward in time until he died as a baby. And even that second point didn’t really match up because in the story Benjamin’s mental development also went backwards, whereas in the movie you seen a 70-year-old looking man playing with toy soldiers and a 12-year-old with dementia.

Eric Roth adapted this screenplay, and it’s also curious that this movie is a lot like “Forrest Gump,” which he also adapted. I’m not the biggest “Forrest Gump” fan, but that movie had a lot more sparkle and energy than this one did, partly because Forrest had a part in historical events, whereas Benjamin just kind of goes through life.

It’s told through flashback—surprisingly, every Best Picture nominee this year features a flashback storytelling device—and the present-day setting is New Orleans as Hurricane Katrina is bearing down on the city. This seemed to try to tug at my heartstrings, and it didn’t work for me. I wonder if some people who watch this in fifty years will even notice it’s Hurricane Katrina and what that actually means.

To me this movie was long and bloated—it wasn’t long to the point that my butt hurt, but I did get a little bored, and I was glad when it was over (I wanted a “I survived Benjamin Button” button). The ending went somewhat quickly, but there was a bit where the young-looking Benjamin travels to India and Southeast Asia. I can’t imagine what the couple minutes of film—if that—cost to produce. His wanderings there didn’t add to the story much, or if they did, I was so glad Benjamin was getting younger because it meant the end of the movie was coming.

Now I didn’t totally hate this movie. I thought Taraji P. Henson did a great job as Benjamin’s adopted mother, and her Best Supporting nomination is well deserved. And of course, the makeup and effects are wonderful.

Still, though, I don’t think this was really one of the five best movies of the year, and I imagine that beyond some technical awards, it will have to be happy with the honor of just being nominated.

miss_niki's picture

Makeup

When you go through the first & second viewings wondering, “How’d the make-up person pull that one off?” … it’s not a great sign.

I enjoyed it & didn’t mind seeing it again. I get what all of the nay-sayers are going to repeat: story of starting over, story of love that spans age & time, story of learning things backwards. I get that. But it wasn’t powerful enough. It wasn’t compelling enough. It wasn’t “Oscar” enough, if you know what I mean.

Fincher & Pitt should go back to making edgy modern day movies with thoroughly masculine storylines. & please, don’t ever add Brendan Fraser &/or Mark Wahlberg. Yuck.

jilljaracz's picture

Benjamin Button is not a great movie

Although the projector breaking provided a little relief, I wouldn’t have seen this movie without the AMC day simply because it had a long running time. Watching two movies before it wasn’t a problem—the fact that the movie was boring was a problem, and that’s why I was a bit apprehensive about it.

I don’t want to sound like I’m totally ripping on it because it wasn’t an awful movie that you were upset about wasting money on (though maybe if I’d paid for it, I’d feel that way), but the movie didn’t make me care for the main character at all—he just went through life, and even though he was in Russia and World War II, that wasn’t enough.

Oh, and Tilda Swinton and Cate Blanchett looked scarily alike as Button’s love interests. That was a little creepy!

italkfilm's picture

It had nothing to do with

Mind you this has nothing to do with the projector breaking twice, giving us an added 15 min and 5 min break. Also previously seeing two movies before the start of this one, with the added bonus of Benjamin Buttons being three hours long. Seeing this many movies in a row is hard for anyone.

I never thought about the fact that every movie does have some kind of flashback part to it . I will have to remember that as one of the needed things to have for any successful film. along with adding Brendan Fraser or Mark Wahlberg to have at least a 50 million dollar grossing movie.

Sorry to hear that you did not like it .

http://www.italkfilm.com

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker