2008 Screen Actors Guild awards announced

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Here are the 2008 Screen Actors Guild (SAG) award winners from /Film:

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role

Daniel Day-Lewis / Daniel Plainview – There Will Be Blood (Paramount Vantage)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role

Julie Christie / Fiona – Away From Her (Lionsgate)

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role

Javier Bardem /Anton Chigurh – No Country For Old Men (Miramax Films)
Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Ruby Dee / Mama Lucas – American Gangster (Universal Pictures)

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture

No Country for Old Men (Miramax Films)

Javier Bardem / Anto Chigurh

Josh Brolin / Llewelyn Moss

Garret Dillahunt / Wendell

Tess Harper / Loretta Bell

Woody Harrelson / Carson Wells

Tommy Lee Jones / Ed Tom Bell

Kelly Macdonald / Carla Jean Moss

Our list of Directors Guild of America (DGA) winners can be found here.

PatrickMcD's picture

Age Inappropriate?

Last night’s SAG ceremonies had several aging star moments…

- The Charles Durning tribute was awkward from the word go. A visibly drunk Burt Reynolds, hair weave attached so crookedly that you could see the glue, stumbled through the Lifetime Achievement introduction for Durning, and then Charlie himself rambled until everyone was begging for mercy.

- The Mickster, Mickey Rooney, had a vague speech that begged the question “what are doing up there?” I guess he was giving out a best female actor trophy (in a TV movie or miniseries), but that didn’t become apparent until about 5 minutes into his speech. And then when Queen Latifah wasn’t there, MR called out “Ms. Latifah?”

- Rubylee Dee won best supporting female actor for ‘American Gangster’ and then proceeded to tell the history of nothing (it started with Harlem and ended up with Denzel). I’ve always liked her but it was uncomfortable.

- Finally, Julie Christie, who won Best Female Actor for ‘Away From Her,’ summed the whole proceedings up best when she said, “I will be like my character and forget everybody I need to thank.”

Christie played an Alzheimer’s patient.

Hank’s in a band! www.myspace.com/thetelepaths

MagnoliaFan's picture

Daaag

Looks like this should’ve been televised. Also:

An extremely drunk Sean Young heckled Julian Schnabel the moment he walked on stage to accept his medallion. She was quickly 86’d by security and tried to throw a punch at those ejecting her from the venue. She really ruined Julian’s moment and it was kind of sad. He looked into the audience and said “Who said that?” She blurted out something else unintelligible and then he said “Perhaps you’d like to finish my speech,” said “thank you very much” and started to step away from the podium. He came back, of course, but it seemed he was visibly pissed and upset by the interruption. Sort of sad, actually. It’s like you get this big moment where you’re one of the 5 directors honored in a year and then some drunk ass wipe in the audience ruins a lifetime moment for you.

And:

Tony Gilroy’s speech STUNK and he insulted George Clooney in a manner that didn’t draw laughs, but snickers, from the audience. He said “…George Clooney, who couldn’t be here tonight, but we’ll tell him it was all about him.” Not nice. He managed to salvage the moment by evoking Sydney Pollack’s name and asking the audience to raise a glass to Sydney. Still, his speech was lame and he is truly a bit of a tool if you ask me. Pulling the Sydney Pollack card in the way he did was over the top and bizarre and looked like campaigning 101.

MagnoliaFan's picture

I'm Retarded

My links were for the DGA Awards. All these awards shows look alike to me.

But anyway, Defamer has more on that Sean Young heckling:

I just wanted to tell you about the AWESOME drama at the DGA Awards Saturday night at the Century City Hotel. Things were pretty calm for the dinner, but once the award portion of the evening began, has-been actress Sean Young started to get rowdy. She started talking loudly through out the show…at times screaming in French at the stage when that French actress from La Vie en Rose [Ed. Note - That’d be Marion Cotillard] took the stage..at other times breaking into song. She yelled at a video clip of George Clooney from Michael Clayton and then would start nuzzling the neck of her date (who seemed oblivious) but it was when Julian Schnabel took the stage toward the end of the evening that she really went kook…yelling at him to “get on with it” and to “move it on” (The DGA Awards are unique, they let all of the film nominees say something about their films and thank their crews before naming the winner at the end of the night). Julian yelled back at her to “Have another drink, Honey” and started to leave the stage before the crowd yelled at him to stay. He continued to talk and Sean stood up and mad a big production of putting on her white fur coat, walking around in a circle and then taking her seat again. Finally a security guard came over and grabbed her arm and yanked her through the tables to the side door and tossed her out. Still can’t figure out who her date was (he looked like a lawyer type..an ohhhh he’s going to get it at work come Monday).

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

SAG awards + Razzies

You just merged the SAG awards with the Razzies!

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker