Song from Once Might Be Ineligible for Oscars

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

'Falling Slowly' back in the race!

Falling Slowly” from “Once” is back in the race! Just in from Hollywood Elsewhere:

I missed this Bagger announcement last night: “Falling Slowly,” the Once song, is back in the running as a legitimate Best Song contender, having been pronounced eligible and put back on the ballot by the Academy’s music branch executive committee.

Terrific, guys…but why, given the well-known, not-hidden facts about Glenn Hansard having written the song for the film and he and Marketa Irglova recording it only subsequently on two other albums, was there a challenge in the first place?

The deal all along (or so I’ve understood) has been that since Once failed to gather the Best Picture talk it certainly deserved all along, the Best Song Oscar is being seen as not just a fitting tribute for the song (and Glenn-Mar’s touching performing of it), but as a repository of all feelings of respect and affection for the film itself.

Spike1's picture

Guarantee from Eddie Vedder

The song ‘Guarantee’ from the ‘Into the Wild’ soundtrack should of received a nomination instead of three songs from ‘Enchanted.’ I have not seen the movie yet, but I am a big fan of Pearl Jam, and I enjoyed all the songs of this soundtrack.

Dustin's picture

Why not?

Was the “Into the Wild” soundtrack not eligible?

MagnoliaFan's picture

What's Particularly Stupid

What’s particularly stupid and galling about this development is that it’s already nominated! They cleared it last March. Meaning some geriatric Academy voters put up a stink because they want “Enchanted” to win or something.

Precedence?

Do you know of any precedence of a song being nominated and then disqualified?

Dustin's picture

I think Roberto Benini had

I think Roberto Benini had to return his Oscar after they discovered he was on performance enhancing drugs.

:-(

That would really, really be a shame. From the article:

The original song category for the Oscars has already hit its share of clanky notes, what with none of Eddie Vedder’s breathtaking songs for “Into the Wild” making the cut. And now comes quiet word that “Falling Slowly,” the achingly pretty song from “Once” written by Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, may be ruled ineligible. The Bagger has been making some calls and there are indications that that the song, which is up against three, count ‘em three, songs from “Enchanted” in addition to “Raise It Up” from “August Rush,” may have some problems with eligibility requirements. Post nominations, this tempest could set the teapot to boiling. (There is a lot of seemingly well-informed speculation in the comments, so give a click for more info.)

The relevant language from the Academy rules suggests: “An original song consists of words and music, both of which are original and written specifically for the film.” (bold is theirs)

It is unclear how “Falling Slowly” may have run afoul of those rules, but the music branch of the Academy branch will be looking into the matter on Monday with a decision to follow soon after.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker