'Y' Film to Become Trilogy...Maybe

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

The day before Y: The Last Man’s final issue comes, USA Today’s Whitney Matheson interviewed DJ Caruso, who’s signed to direct the feature version. When asked if he knew what happens in the final chapter:

I definitely do, but it’s interesting, because in developing the film, I don’t want to say we decided to go the trilogy way, but we decided to take a certain chunk of the first, like, 14 issues, and make that the first movie. So we kind of gave it a different arc. Where this series ends, hopefully, would be, like, the third movie.

This is Caruso’s way of saying that the film will cover the first 14 or issues or two storylines of the comic. But if everything’s successful, then maybe the movies would make a trilogy.

Caruso goes on to say that he and writer Carl Ellsworth were only able to get “an amazing first act” written before the writers strike. Y co-creator and writer Brian K. Vaughan took a stab at writing an earlier draft for the feature, and he also condensed only the first few storylines.

As for Shia LaBouf playing Yorick? “Shia and I have had some preliminary discussions about doing it together. I know we both wanna take a little time off, so we’ll see,” says Caruso. “I mean, we’re talking about it. To me, when I read it — this is right after ‘Disturbia’ but before I knew we were going to work together again — I immediately thought of him. Immediately.”

The full USA Today article on Y’s final issue can be read here.

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

Shia LaBeouf

I nominate Shia LaBeouf for the “hardest name to spell in Hollywood today” award. But seriously, do you really think his talent deserves all these roles he’s getting?

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker