Chicago Opera Theater founder Alan Stone dies on July 9, 2008 in Lincoln Park at 79

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

I just received the following press release.

Chicago Opera Theater Mourns Loss of Founder Alan Sonte

CHICAGO (July 11, 2008) — Chicago Opera Theater (COT) mourns the loss of founder Alan Stone who died Wednesday in Lincoln Park at the age of 79. Chicago Opera Theater will dedicate their 2009 Spring Festival Season, COT’s 35th anniversary season, to Alan Stone.

Stone founded Chicago Opera Studio, Inc., which later became Chicago Opera Theater. Chicago Opera Studio, Inc. premiered with what would become the company’s “calling-card” opera Mozart’s Così fan tutte in 1974. Stone served as Artistic Director until 1984, and remained with the company as an advisor until 1993.

“There simply would be no Chicago Opera Theater without Alan Stone,” said current COT General Director Brian Dickie who began his tenure in 1999. “COT was his dream, his baby, and his vision.”

“In my early years here in Chicago, I relied much on Alan’s great advice, and cherished our times swapping amusing antidotes over champagne,” Dickie continued. “Alan will be greatly missed and the whole of Chicago’s opera-loving audience, including myself, will always be immensely grateful for his life’s work.”

Chicago Opera Theater’s board of directors, staff, and artists extend their deepest sympathy to Alan Stone’s family.

About Chicago Opera Theater
Founded in 1974 by Alan Stone, Chicago Opera Theater has carved a significant place for itself in the operatic life of Chicago and has reached an audience of hundreds of thousands through its main stage performances, outreach, education and young artist programs.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker