JIM reviews “OBSERVE & REPORT” -- I Watched, & Inform you to THINK TWICE before spending $ on this =

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

OBSERVE & REPORT” — I Watched, & Inform you to THINK TWICE before spending $ on this =
Rating: 6 of 10 stars = SO-SO at best

(Per an advance preview:) In ’08, SETH ROGEN starred in “PINEAPPLE EXPRESS”. To me, that supposed comedy disintegrated when uncalled-for extreme VIOLENCE was interjected into the story. I’m sorry to say the SAME thing is generally true of his newest film, “OBSERVE”. It’s the story of a delusion-filled Mall cop (Rogen) with BI-POLAR problems (which, from knowing some such people personally, I don’t find particularly funny). Smitten by a Cosmetic Consultant (ANNA FARIS) at the mall, he strives to “protect” her from a Flasher there. His crew of assistants are mildly funny (as is the movie overall). But, tho decently acted, it’s often a MISH-MOSH of disjointed and POINTLESS ideas & incidents— Rogen fighting a group of cops (led by RAY LIOTTA), engaging in meaningless DRUG use, attacking groups of often INNOCENT people (such as skate-boarding kids), interacting with his usually-drunk mother, trying to act heroic (thru excessive aggression), etc. It’s PPI+S (= Purposely-Politically- “Incorrect” + Sensationalized), but, while it’s not horrible , it could have been SO much BETTER (with clever writing, etc.)!

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker