JIM reviews “OBSERVE & REPORT” -- I Watched, & Inform you to THINK TWICE before spending $ on this =

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

OBSERVE & REPORT” — I Watched, & Inform you to THINK TWICE before spending $ on this =
Rating: 6 of 10 stars = SO-SO at best

(Per an advance preview:) In ’08, SETH ROGEN starred in “PINEAPPLE EXPRESS”. To me, that supposed comedy disintegrated when uncalled-for extreme VIOLENCE was interjected into the story. I’m sorry to say the SAME thing is generally true of his newest film, “OBSERVE”. It’s the story of a delusion-filled Mall cop (Rogen) with BI-POLAR problems (which, from knowing some such people personally, I don’t find particularly funny). Smitten by a Cosmetic Consultant (ANNA FARIS) at the mall, he strives to “protect” her from a Flasher there. His crew of assistants are mildly funny (as is the movie overall). But, tho decently acted, it’s often a MISH-MOSH of disjointed and POINTLESS ideas & incidents— Rogen fighting a group of cops (led by RAY LIOTTA), engaging in meaningless DRUG use, attacking groups of often INNOCENT people (such as skate-boarding kids), interacting with his usually-drunk mother, trying to act heroic (thru excessive aggression), etc. It’s PPI+S (= Purposely-Politically- “Incorrect” + Sensationalized), but, while it’s not horrible , it could have been SO much BETTER (with clever writing, etc.)!

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the doc series “Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose,” about the rise and bitter fall of the major league legend, the MLB’s all-time hits leader, only to be banned from the sport because of gambling. Streaming on MAX and on HBO since July 24th.

• Little Bear Ridge Road STEPPENWOLF

CHICAGO – The Steppenwolf Theatre of Chicago continues to provide different viewpoints on the American stage, and their latest “Little Bear Ridge Road” is no exception. Featuring ensemble member Laurie Metcalf, it’s the resonate story of a family at the crossroads. For tickets/details, click LITTLE BEAR.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker