JIM reviews film "I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER" -- Can a Nerd rehabilitate himself via Public Comments?

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

“I LOVE YOU, BETH COOPER” — Can a Nerd rehabilitate himself via Public Comments? =

Rating: 7 of 10 stars (per an advance screening).

This is a mildly charming, generally sweet Chris Columbus film seemingly mainly aimed at a teenage audience (which seemed to “relate” to & enjoy it, according to the audience I was with). Nerdy high school valedictorian Denis (PAUL RUST), urged on by his best friend Rich (JACK CARPENTER), gives a graduation speech in which he makes comments about numerous classmates— calling one stuck-up, one a bully, one gay, & one – Beth Cooper (HAYDEN PANATIERRE) – as being the object of his love. With a hidden agenda (including upsetting her current ROTC boyfriend Kevin – played by SHAWN ROBERTS), Beth & 2 girlfriends (Cammy, played by LAUREN LONDON, & Treece, played by LAUREN STORM) show up at Denis’ grad party. As the girls & guys spend time together, there are the “usual” high-jinks— getting drunk, driving badly, fighting, making out, etc. It’s not especially clever or funny, it’s not very boisterous, but you end up understanding & “pulling” for the “good guys”. The decently-acted film achieves what it sets out to do (namely, make some gentle observations about the difficulties in growing up).

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Invictus Theatre Network

CHICAGO – In the last several years, how many times have you wanted to shout the “Mad as Hell” movie quote? Well, Invictus Theatre Co. has produced a stage adaptation of “Network” – with that quote shout worthy – at the Windy City Playhouse in Chicago through September 29th. For tickets/details, click HOWARD BEALE.

• Emily in Paris

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the streaming series “Emily in Paris” the adventures of Emily Cooper and her fanciful/fashionable Paris friends and lovers, now in its fourth season. Episodes 1-5 currently on Netflix.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on X

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker