JIM reviews film “21 AND A WAKEUP” — A Wakeup Call about the problems caused by Lying Politicians & Military men =

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

“21 AND A WAKEUP” — A Wakeup Call about the problems caused by Lying Politicians & Military men =

Rating: 7 of 10 stars (based on an advance screening).

This film is set in the closing days of the Vietnam war, & is based on various TRUE stories and people. It mainly concerns a group of Vietnam-based nurses as the American effort is being wound down (& the title describes the amount of service time one has left).

The principal subject is independent-minded nurse Caitlyn (AMY ACKER), who rebels against the inflexible, by-the-book attitude of Major Rose (FAYE DUNAWAY). Other nurses are medically-talented Jenny (DANICA McKELLAR), Abigail (ALLISON HENRY), Skylar (KRISTYN GREEN) & a Corpsman (ANNA HAGOPIAN). There are some talented doctors (such as WES STUDI & ROB SHAPIRO), some bad ones, & a sexy lady singer Xenia (T. LOPEZ) visiting the base. The story concerns medical problems that arise, & Amy going with journalist Chris (TODD CAHOON) on a dangerous secret mission to Cambodia to honor a promise to a recently-killed cohort.

The film covers a lot of interesting ground & is basically WELL-done (tho it has some “over-the-top” & slightly stiff acting before the somewhat “hopeful” end). It made me sad thinking of the problems caused by many decades of politicians & military men (like in the Johnson, Nixon, Reagan & Bush administrations) DECEIVING the public to foster their private agendas & obliviousness.

… Before the film, the director CHRIS McINTYRE spoke of how he served in the Vietnam War (which his movie was about), & he grew to LOVE the country & many of the PEOPLE who lived there. He made the film based on some true stories, utilizing a number of actors who are famous in that country, & commented that he’s proud to have many FRIENDS over there.

… In the audience, he introduced LANCE GUEST who appears in the film, & commented on how wonderful he is as Johnny Cash in the play “MILLION DOLLAR QUARTET” appearing in Chicago. Chris told how this was like the 15th screening he’d shown (for the film opening at the end of this month), & would appreciate people filling out the questionnaire cards we’d been provided (about the documentary footage, soundtrack song, etc.)…

Anonymous's picture

Very nice and impressive

Very nice and impressive article you have posted.

firebane05's picture

nice post you’ve got

nice post you’ve got here

Ichigo's picture

Ichigo

This film is set in the closing days of the Vietnam war o.O

Anonymous's picture

McIntyre’s heart and soul

McIntyre’s heart and soul are all over the film, but he’s just beginning to learn the rudiments of filmmaking, and sad to say, the location work doesn’t pay off. I’ve seen better acting by hungry animals in dog food commercials.

white's picture

The Characters do things

The Characters do things that are totally against human nature! They go from the mental stage of being somewhat moral theives, never planning to hurt anybody to Cold blooded murderous Killers in mear seconds. They turn on each other as fast as they turn on third party characters, which was totally unbelievable because Lawrence Fishburn’s Character is the only one that comes off as unbalanced enough to do so, within the confines of character development.
This film is just all around poorly done. EVERYTHING IS POORLY DONE.

John Braxton Bartlett's picture

Vietnam Era Nurses

I am a Vietnam vet and included a true recollection in my memoir “Elusive Honor” about three people, one of which was a Vietnam Combat Nurse I encountered while serving on the Navy Discharge review board after the Vietnam War.

I am anxious to see if her story is in any way relational to that which unfolds in “21 and a wake up”.

The Vietnam Veterans of America (VVA) recently passed a resolution on the subject of unreviewed and unfavorable discharges during that era. Perhaps this movie will bring to the fore some unresolved issues still remaining from that war. My hope is that it will bring some closure to veterans and families who still deal with resentment, anger, and frustrations from so many years ago.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Invictus Theatre Network

CHICAGO – In the last several years, how many times have you wanted to shout the “Mad as Hell” movie quote? Well, Invictus Theatre Co. has produced a stage adaptation of “Network” – with that quote shout worthy – at the Windy City Playhouse in Chicago through September 29th. For tickets/details, click HOWARD BEALE.

• Emily in Paris

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the streaming series “Emily in Paris” the adventures of Emily Cooper and her fanciful/fashionable Paris friends and lovers, now in its fourth season. Episodes 1-5 currently on Netflix.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on X

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker