JIM reviews film “THE INFORMANT” – TRUST me: What I tell you MAY be the Truth (in part…)!

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

THE INFORMANT” – TRUST me: What I tell you MAY be the Truth (in part…)!

Rating: 8 of 10 stars (based on an advance screening =

TRUST ME” (with music by Marvin Hamlisch) is the chipper ‘title’ song of this film, which is based on true events concerning the government’s trying to build a fraud case against the ADM company. MATT DAMON plays a V.P. there named Mark Whitacre who is eager to be a “whistle-blower” about things like the massive price-fixing going on, seeming to believe that his tattling on other big shots will end up with his getting the TOP spot at the agri-business giant. His wife Ginger (MELANIE LYNSKEY) keeps urging him to tell the “truth” to the FBI (represented by SCOTT BAKULA playing agent Brian Shepard & EDDIE JEMISON as Kirk Schmidt). He secretly makes tape recordings for the FBI when with other conspirators such as Mick Andreas (TOM PAPA) & Terry Wilson (RICK OVERTON). But, the question becomes, can “bi-polar” Matt actual COMPREHEND what’s the “truth”? He alternates between ‘sharp’ & generally ‘oblivious’, his stories keep CHANGING, & the govt (& his cohorts) never know quite what to expect (or believe).

Think of it as a “black’ comedy, with some frightening implications for countries often at the mercy of Really BIG Businesses… A friend felt the film was “brilliant”, & said she thinks Matt may well get an OSCAR nomination for his role. It’s an engaging & very well-done portrayal, but, I think such a nomination is “IFFY” (given the emotional limitations inherent in the role). Nevertheless, you can trust ME when I tell you the film is intriguing, fascinating & enjoyable.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the doc series “Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose,” about the rise and bitter fall of the major league legend, the MLB’s all-time hits leader, only to be banned from the sport because of gambling. Streaming on MAX and on HBO since July 24th.

• Little Bear Ridge Road STEPPENWOLF

CHICAGO – The Steppenwolf Theatre of Chicago continues to provide different viewpoints on the American stage, and their latest “Little Bear Ridge Road” is no exception. Featuring ensemble member Laurie Metcalf, it’s the resonate story of a family at the crossroads. For tickets/details, click LITTLE BEAR.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker