Revolutionary Road vs. The Reader

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

This Saturday I am very fortunate to be attending the screening at the AMC River East 21 in downtown Chicago. Finally I will be able to see Kate Winslet in her Oscar Nominated film. I was completely shocked that Revolutionary Road was not the film she was nominated for, and I completely loved this film. Both Winslet and DiCaprio, had a believable tension between the two of them as a couple. Michael Shannon was nominated by the way for Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role. His character is a disturbed man, that adds quite a bit of tension to the film. Now I will finally see what everyone is raving about.

miss_niki's picture

Comparisons

Although it’s tempting to want to compare the two films based on their common denominator, I am resisting the urge to do so simply because they’re such completely different characters. As a one-time wannabe actor myself, I know of the preparation involved in developing the physicalities, composing the accent, drafting the motives. Personally, I got a lot more out of Revolutionary Road because I could very much relate to the relationship between the two main characters (see: Niki & her ex). However, on a whole, I think The Reader showed the completeness of their relationship more.

See? Hard to compare.

What is undeniable, though, is Kate Winslet’s strength in her talent, no matter which film you prefer. She’s a powerhouse, to be sure.

italkfilm's picture

Well now I can actually make a valid choice

Now that I have seen both films in there entirety . I am still am going to have to stick with Revolutionary Road . The Reader was good do not get me wrong. I just thought the emotion portrayed in the Revolutionary Road was more realistic and easier to relate too.

Both films could have allowed her to be nominated actually the performances on both are so well done. Maybe its time they just give Kate Winslet an Oscar already.

It is a hard choice to make with Viola Davis still in the running for her amazingly short part in “Doubt”.

http://www.italkfilm.com

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

HollywoodChicago.com staff 2009 Oscar predictions are in!

The 2009 Oscar predictions from HollywoodChicago.com staffers are in! Check them out here…

HollywoodChicago.com's picture

'The Reader'...

If you haven’t yet seen “The Reader,” it’s haunting. While I don’t believe it’ll win best picture, it’s most certainly one that sticks with you. Enjoy the shows on Saturday and we’re looking forward to your thoughts!

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
referendum
tracker