The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Directed by David Fincher
3 stars
::spoiler alert::

I love David Fincher’s work. I especially love it when he’s paired with Brad Pitt. He brings the grit of his music video background to an extended format, cleans it up a little, but not enough that you don’t still know there’s a layer of filth underneath. I like that. I’m a grit-girl.

But in this film, the grit is gone in favor of presenting a story less rooted in real life & more fantastic & optimistic in nature. It’s a valiant effort by Mr. Fincher, but it falls slightly short. Slightly.

I found myself distracted by the beauty of Mr. Pitt, anxiously awaiting the point at which he loses the wrinkled prosthetics & reveals to be the Sexiest Man Alive I know & lust. I was pleased to see the recreation of his “Thelma & Louise” youth. That being said, I am of the personal opinion that Brad Pitt is highly underrated as an actor simply because of his beauty. He’s a tremendous talent & should be given due respect as such. But let’s face it; I’m a heterosexual American woman. I want to see Brad looking yummy.

There is, however, a message behind the tale. Take advantage of the time you have. Waste not the days of your youth. You can always start over. There were so many life lesson quotes, I found myself wishing I could remember them all if for no other reason than to update my Facebook profile Quotes section with them. (i only wish i was kidding) But I’m unsure of the amount of faith Mr. Fincher had in the viewing public’s capability to absorb these lessons because the movie was just. so. long. All this time, all this slow pacing, all this conversation, only to feel gypped at the end when we don’t see how he goes from teen to baby. Meanwhile, we have a hurricane a-brewing in N’awlins & there is absolutely no resolution to that.

Do I question the beauty of the story, the talent of the actors, the poignancy of the message? Absolutely not. Do I wish it was presented ever-so-differently? Yes. & that’s what cost this movie a star from me.

miss_niki's picture

Film Break

Here is a very important quote that occurred as the film broke —- a note from Benjamin Button to his daughter:

“For what it’s worth: it’s never too late or, in my case, too early to be whoever you want to be. There’s no time limit, stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same, there are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you make the best of it. And I hope you see things that startle you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you’re proud of. If you find that you’re not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again.”

italkfilm's picture

I hear ya....

This is a movie marathon that can make people squirm in their seats. Just hoping their bladders will hold out til the end.

http://www.italkfilm.com

miss_niki's picture

Film Stoppage

PS: It’s a damn shame about the 2 film stoppages in this movie. Both came at points of pivotal importance &/or great understanding through dialogue. But it was nice to have a quick bathroom break, truth be told.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker