Frost/Nixon

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Directed by Ron Howard
3.5 stars
::spoiler alert::

Again, I’m on a limb here due to the 24 Hour Rule, but I honor my commitment to write about my experience today. In “The Reader” fashion, some initial observations I shall not necessarily be held to after the 24 hour rule expires:

1. Who doesn’t like Sam Rockwell? C’mon, the guy’s just cool.

2. Does Oliver Platt have his “type” down or what? He plays semi-sleazy with more humanity & self-deprecation than anyone else I can think of at 12:53am after a 13.5 hour movie marathon. I’m down with O.P.- Yeah, you know me!

3. Everyone knows Frank Langella’s a heavyweight. & really, that’s what this movie all boiled down to —- a boxing match between two men so desperate for approval. Ron Howard made that analogy perfectly & Michael Sheen proved an exceptional opponent.

4. I don’t mind men in shoes without laces.

5. I’m a sucker for humanity-driven “bad guys” & feel pity towards them, no matter what heinous things they’ve done.

6. Considering most of what I know about the facts of Watergate boil down to “Nixon = Bad” & that my psycho ex-boyfriend was born the day the President resigned, I’m both happy & disappointed that Mr. Howard didn’t dumb it down for the general viewing audience.

7. I’ve gotta find the original footage. When a movie inspires me to do further research on my own, that’s a good sign.

jilljaracz's picture

Frost/Nixon

I totally agree with point number 7 on Miss Niki’s list. I’ve got to watch the Frost/Nixon interviews soon!

Man, Ron Howard does a great job making a historical movie riveting when you know the outcome. He did it with Apollo 13, and he’s done it again with Frost/Nixon.

I have to admit that I was starting to fade a little bit when this, our last picture, started, but soon I was totally sucked in and enthralled by it. Great movie making, great performances, and even though I don’t think it’s got a chance as Best Picture, it was a great movie. It was also really interesting look at this part of history that I was alive for but too young to really be cognizant of.

In that vein, I can only wonder what sorts of movies will be made about 9/11 in thirty years, when a good portion of the population lived through it, some lived then but don’t remember it, and others weren’t born.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Emily in Paris

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the streaming series “Emily in Paris” the adventures of Emily Cooper and her fanciful/fashionable Paris friends and lovers, now in its fourth season. Episodes 1-5 currently on Netflix.

• Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com audio review for the doc series “Charlie Hustle & the Matter of Pete Rose,” about the rise and bitter fall of the major league legend, the MLB’s all-time hits leader, only to be banned from the sport because of gambling. Streaming on MAX and on HBO since July 24th.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker