Frost/Nixon

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly versionE-mail page to friendE-mail page to friendPDF versionPDF version
No votes yet

Directed by Ron Howard
3.5 stars
::spoiler alert::

Again, I’m on a limb here due to the 24 Hour Rule, but I honor my commitment to write about my experience today. In “The Reader” fashion, some initial observations I shall not necessarily be held to after the 24 hour rule expires:

1. Who doesn’t like Sam Rockwell? C’mon, the guy’s just cool.

2. Does Oliver Platt have his “type” down or what? He plays semi-sleazy with more humanity & self-deprecation than anyone else I can think of at 12:53am after a 13.5 hour movie marathon. I’m down with O.P.- Yeah, you know me!

3. Everyone knows Frank Langella’s a heavyweight. & really, that’s what this movie all boiled down to —- a boxing match between two men so desperate for approval. Ron Howard made that analogy perfectly & Michael Sheen proved an exceptional opponent.

4. I don’t mind men in shoes without laces.

5. I’m a sucker for humanity-driven “bad guys” & feel pity towards them, no matter what heinous things they’ve done.

6. Considering most of what I know about the facts of Watergate boil down to “Nixon = Bad” & that my psycho ex-boyfriend was born the day the President resigned, I’m both happy & disappointed that Mr. Howard didn’t dumb it down for the general viewing audience.

7. I’ve gotta find the original footage. When a movie inspires me to do further research on my own, that’s a good sign.

jilljaracz's picture

Frost/Nixon

I totally agree with point number 7 on Miss Niki’s list. I’ve got to watch the Frost/Nixon interviews soon!

Man, Ron Howard does a great job making a historical movie riveting when you know the outcome. He did it with Apollo 13, and he’s done it again with Frost/Nixon.

I have to admit that I was starting to fade a little bit when this, our last picture, started, but soon I was totally sucked in and enthralled by it. Great movie making, great performances, and even though I don’t think it’s got a chance as Best Picture, it was a great movie. It was also really interesting look at this part of history that I was alive for but too young to really be cognizant of.

In that vein, I can only wonder what sorts of movies will be made about 9/11 in thirty years, when a good portion of the population lived through it, some lived then but don’t remember it, and others weren’t born.

User Login

Free Giveaway Mailing

TV, DVD, BLU-RAY & THEATER REVIEWS

• Manhunt

CHICAGO – Patrick McDonald of HollywoodChicago.com appears on “The Morning Mess” with Dan Baker on WBGR-FM (Monroe, Wisconsin) on March 21st, 2024, reviewing the new streaming series “Manhunt” – based on the bestseller by James L. Swanson – currently streaming on Apple TV+.

• Topdog/Underdog, Invictus Theatre

CHICAGO – When two brothers confront the sins of each other and it expands into a psychology of an entire race, it’s at a stage play found in Chicago’s Invictus Theatre Company production of “Topdog/Underdog,” now at their new home at the Windy City Playhouse through March 31st, 2024. Click TD/UD for tickets/info.

Advertisement

HollywoodChicago.com on Twitter

archive

HollywoodChicago.com Top Ten Discussions
tracker